Asia is a very large region with diverse cultures, landscapes, cuisines, people, and activities. Dividing the region into 3 different sub-regions, i.e., India and Nepal, Mainland Southeast Asia, and China, Korea, and Japan, can help devise three quick ways to travel cheap in Asia.
India and Nepal
- India is one of the most affordable destinations in the world. Even its metros like Delhi and Mumbai are fairly cheap. You may at first be overwhelmed by the people, culture, colors, and sounds, but once you get used to it, then your trip will be the best ever, and even a life-changing experience for many.
- Hotels of all budgets and styles are available throughout the country. Transport by rail or road is cheap. It is best to book your rail tickets in advance and also verify the class before you commence your travels of the land.
- Tourists may visit the north of India, to popular tourist destinations like Varanasi and Rajasthan, or may head down south towards Goa, Kerala; even into Sri Lanka for a short trip. India is a land of festivals and one celebration occurs every other week. So make sure to participate in at least one of them; you will get to mingle with the locals as well as get an insight into the eclectic religions and culture prevalent in the region.
- Nepal is where you can enjoy trekking across the Himalayan ranges as well as other assorted outdoor adventures, surrounded by spectacular pristine landscape.
Mainland Southeast Asia
- This region is known for its numerous tropical beaches, exotic culture, friendly people, stunning coral reefs, and numerous temples. Tourists can use tourist buses or the less comfortable local buses to move around; the latter is however a lot cheaper and offers a more interesting experience.
- Tourists may commence the trip in Hanoi, traverse across Vietnam to Sapa, visit the Hmong villagesadorned by breathtaking rice terraces; go into Cambodia, check out the renowned Angkor Wat, go to Laos; head into Thailand, enjoy the nightlife of Bangkok, proceed to Phuket and relax at the beachfront resorts, scuba dive at Koh Taoor Koh Phi Phi, and enjoy refreshing treks at Chiang Mai. All this can be availed on a shoestring budget! You may fly to Malaysia, and then go to Singapore to revel in the modern amenities, including casinos, before flying back home.
China, Japan and Korea
- China, especially the cities, is fast becoming an expensive place to travel to and across. Tourists may opt for ‘Tiger Leaping Gorge,’ a fascinating trek from one village to another in rural China. If you get the permissions, then you may also visit beautiful Tibet. Accommodations are priced as per the style and category. Tourists may use bullet trains or normal trains; flights are however cheaper and faster.
- Japan and Korea are expensive places to go to. Tourists may however shack up with an expat, who will also help overcome any language barriers that you may encounter. Flights are cheaper than ground transportation. In winters, tourists may enjoy skiing and a variety of other winter sports.
To sum it up, it may be noted that the first two sub-regions, popular as ‘backpacker’ destinations, are quite affordable and easy to traverse travel cheap in Asia. China has become a costly travel destination of late, while Japan and Korea have always been expensive.